Sunday, September 12, 2010

J-man

My oldest brother and his wife just welcomed my youngest niece into their family.  Jared is the father to three daughters now.  He and his family live in Texas while me and my family live in Utah, so until recently, I hadn't had many opportunities to observe him in his role as a dad.  When I was able to, this is what I noticed;

Jared has always had a temperate and gentle personality.  As I watched Jared interact with his girls I saw this trait also guides him in his parenting.  While I stayed in their home I never heard him raise his voice in frustration; any correcting that was necessary was done with love and kindness. 

My brother has a very demanding  job that requires that he is away from home a lot, but when he is with his family they get the very best of him.  From the moment that he walked in the door (straight from the airport),  he was completely available to his wife and children.  Playing in the yard, teasing the kids, becoming a human jungle gym; all of these things came before he even sat down to decompress from a stressful day of work and travel.

One thing that I love about adulthood is learning from my brothers and sister by watching them tackle parenting. Seeing the people that I've known my whole life take on the role of "parent" is an amazing thing. I can honestly say that my siblings are some of the best parents that I know.

2 comments:

Christy said...

This post really made me think about things. It's so true, I feel the same way!

The Larrabees said...

What a great post! ;) you are right, Jared is a great dad and husband. I love how you described him as a human jungle gym, that is exactly what he is :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...