Monday, September 27, 2010

A Girl Can Dream

I'm not a "car girl."  I mean, I drive a Dodge Caravan for goodness sakes.  But this is not a story about a car, this is a story about love at first sight.  I think it was 1994 when I first gave my heart away.

I was at my friend Jenn's house when we heard the loud purring of an engine driving up the road.  We looked in the direction of the sound, we couldn't help it, it couldn't be ignored.  When we saw the car that was producing the captivating noise, both of our faces split into a wide grin.  It was a brand-spankin' new Mustang.  Bright yellow wouldn't be a worthy description of its color, no, it was much more than "yellow"- the brilliance of the sun was captured in that shiny paint.  I took in every bend and memorized each chrome accent.

I think I nearly fainted when the car pulled to a smooth stop in front of Jennifer's house; it was a friend of her dad's who stopped by in his new 'stang.  He took us for a ride, Jenn and I sat in the backseat while her dad and his friend rode up front.  As we pulled out of the neighborhood and the car accelerated my racing heart kept pace with the RPMs of the engine.  We drove faster and faster down a straight stretch of road, but before I was ready we were headed back the way we had come.

We weren't gone very long, 5 or 10 minutes I'd guess, but it didn't matter because from that moment on I would never look at another car the way that I look at the Ford Mustang.  
           
(sigh)

2 comments:

Becky said...

I learn something new about you every day! I would have never guessed. :)

Christy said...

I think you must have a yellow ford mustang for yourself someday!

As for me? I'd like a hummer!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...