Monday, March 22, 2010

Texas: The Inside Scoop


Last week, I was able to go and visit my brother and his family in Texas. They have lived there for over five years and this was the first time that we'd been there to visit. Since I'd never been to Texas before it was a learning experience for me. I thought I'd share a few things that I learned from my visit.

Some things really are bigger in Texas:
-You know the saying, "Everything is bigger in Texas"? Well, there is some truth to that saying. For example, the sky in Texas is huge. Here in Utah, the Eastern and Western horizons are very close because there are huge mountain ranges flanking the Salt Lake Valley. In Texas the sky goes on forever.

-Rodeos are definitely bigger in Texas. We went to a rodeo in Houston that is finishing up its third week. Every day and every night for three weeks the Reliance stadium has been packed for the rodeo. I've been to my fair share of rodeos but never one like that.

-I now have the authority to say that lines of traffic are bigger in Texas. At least the lines that we found ourselves in. It may have had to do with being in a large city, during spring break, doing tourist-y type things. But still, there was a lot of traffic.

Things I learned about ME in Texas:
-I also learned a few things about myself during my visit. The first is that my skin loves Texas. Instead of being called "The Lone Star State" I think it would be more appropriately called "The No Lotion Required State." Coming from the dry winter of Utah it was great not to worry about the kids' eczema.

-My skin loved it; my hair, on the other hand, has a different tale to tell. My dry, curly hair has this problem, you see. Whenever we are in a place with more humidity than Utah (which is just about anywhere) my hair gets a little greedy. It sucks in all of the moisture hanging in the air, then realizing it has just gorged itself, it regurgitates the moisture out again in the form of frizz (my worst enemy). I was a walking Chia Pet all last week.

-Remember the bigger-than-Utah lines of traffic? They weren't a good combination with one of my biggest pet peeves; kids fighting in the car. I learned that I have as little patience for fighting in Texas, as I do in Utah.

More Things I Learned in Texas:
-I learned that Ethan is very allergic to farm animals. The petting zoo at the rodeo turned into the perfect laboratory to test this hypothesis. Thank goodness for liquid Zyrtec and the First Aid volunteers that were there.

-I've heard of "Southern Hospitality" before but I was a bit of a skeptic. Not anymore. People were extremely friendly but in a way that was truly genuine and refreshing. We experienced southern hospitality everywhere we went but the best example was in my brother's home. Kathy made us feel so welcome and comfortable; making room and delicious food for us, planning fun things for us to do and making sure that we had everything that we could possibly need.

-I think there is so much to be learned about people by being in their home. Of course, I knew Jared and Kathy before visiting them in their home. But for the past five years, most of our interactions have been while they have been visiting here in Utah; living out of suitcases, sleeping in unfamiliar beds, and not having a routine to depend on. It was great to see them on their "home turf." I loved being with them in their element.

Thanks for putting us up and putting up with us Houston Larrabees!

3 comments:

Becky said...

Cute post! I bet you were the cutest Chia Pet ever! :) Very funny. Loved this too, "I have as little patience for fighting in Texas, as I do in Utah". How true, how true! :)

Christy said...

I really liked how you wrote "Things I learned about me in Texas" What a great way to write about your vacation. And I couldn't agree with you more about truly knowing someone by being in their home. Great post!

The Larrabees said...

It was great to have you guys over! Like you said, it was different to be in our home as opposed to being visitors. I'm so glad we had that time to get to know each other a little more. You guys are always welcome here! Love all of you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...