Saturday, March 13, 2010

Lessons Learned

The kids and I are on our first adventure: Grandma and Grandpa's House! Being here in my parents' home has me thinking about lessons that they have taught me through the years. Here are a few:

-My mom's dad died when she was just 12. Because of this, my mom has ALWAYS made sure that our family was as prepared as possible; prepared in every area that she had control over. She made sure that we were prepared finanicially by being frugal and conservative in her spending. She made sure that we were prepared for emergencies by being diligent in keeping a comprehensive food storage. And she has always encouraged us to be, and is an example herself, of being spiritually prepared. Be Prepared.

-A few years ago, my dad was riding in a really tough mountain bike race. He got to a point where he was feeling very discouraged, he wasn't sure if he would be able to finish and even thought about quitting (very unlike my dad). He finished the race but was disappointed with how things had gone for him. Afterward, he told me that he felt he had spent so much of his energy thinking about failure, and his expeience would have been better if he had put that energy toward finishing. He said this is like life: we need to put our energy into succeeding rather than into failing. The next year, he went back and dominated that same bike race. Be Positive.

-When we first got to my parents' house on Thursday night, the boys were noticing all of the beautiful quilts that my mom has made. One of the boys said, "Wow! Grandma can make anything!" It's true, my mom can make just about anything. She sewed all of my clothes while I was little, she canned food every season, and she grew a garden. If I have a question about how to do just about anything, I can call my mom and, at some point, she has done it and can answer my question. She has aquired many, many useful skills. Be Productive.

-Yesterday, my mom and I were planning on taking the kids to a museum. When my dad got wind of our plan he took the day off of work so that he could come with us. This was a simple thing that sent a strong message to his grandkids; spending time with them was the most important thing for him to do. My dad hasn't always been able to take the day off of work but he has always taught us the importance of family. Value Family.

(Mom and Dad in Cali. a few years ago)

I am grateful to have parents that have tried to teach me valuable lessons through their example as much as their words. Love ya Mom and Dad!

3 comments:

Becky said...

Kari, this is a beautiful post! What wonderful lessons your parents have taught you. I'm sure your children are going to say the same things about you when they are older! :) Loved this!

Christy said...

I really enjoyed reading this! I liked how each value had a story about your parents. Great post!

Mindy Stephenson said...

Kari

You do have great parents. Sounds like you had a fun weekend

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...