Sunday, September 26, 2010

Sunday Reflections

Growing up my family would go hiking; my parents wanted to instill in us a reverence for nature.  While hiking along the trail my dad would often break out into loud singing.  Usually it was familiar hymns that we would hear ringing through the dense forest.  He explained to us that the noise of his singing would keep bears and other dangerous animals away as we made our way through the mountains.  I know now that, while it may have been true that his singing kept woodland predators at bay, the real reason that he sang while we were hiking was because he was inspired.  He was inspired by the beauty, the hand of God so evident around us. 

The hymn that I  remember him singing the most often was How Great Thou Art.  I will never hear this song without thinking of my dad and being reminded of the incredible beauties around us, all of which point to our Heavenly Father's love for His children.

O Lord my God, when I in awesome wonder
Consider all the worlds Thy hands have made,
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy pow'r throughout the universe displayed;

When though the woods and forest glades I wander
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees
When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur
And hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze.

Then sings my soul, my Saviour God to Thee,
How great Thou art!  How great Thou art!
Then sings my soul, my Saviour God to Thee,
How great Thou art! How great Thou art!

3 comments:

Christy said...

What a neat memory!

Becky said...

I feel the same way. Ahhh nature.

The Larrabees said...

That is so great, I can totally see him singing as loud as he could ;) I guess that's where Jared gets it from, he also loves that hymn and on more than one occasion he's gotten very "inspired" (meaning singing very loud) while singing it in sacrament meeting :) gotta love the Larrabee boys ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...