Monday, February 22, 2010

Portland

I've got Portland on the brain. Memories of that rainy, beautiful city keep seeping into my thoughts. Its been about a year since I was there, but that doesn't seem to matter, I still think about that trip frequently.

I was there with the four women in the world that I am closest to: my Mom, my sister and two sisters-in-law. These are women who I admire and love. They are also who I share joy and heartache with. I was fortunate to be there with them, and now I feel so blessed to have the memories of that weekend.

The days previous to our arrival and the days immediately after we left were uncharacteristically sunny and bright, but while we were there it was rainy and gray. I was glad to see Portland as herself. She didn't put on a show of sunshine and blue skies for us, she was her typical moody self.

We were there for one reason: Wicked, The Untold Story of the Witches of Oz. The music was incredible, the characters hilarious and the storyline unbelievably creative. But of course, we couldn't be in a new city without taking in some of the sites. There was tax-free shopping at the flea market, the expansive Powell's Books, and the delicious Cupcake Jones. (Cupcake Jones was so delicious, in fact, that I can't leave it there, at the end of that sentence. It needs a bit more recognition...and a picture. Yum.)

Now that I've documented my Portland trip, maybe my brain will be able to focus on the pile of laundry that needs to be folded (while listening to the Wicked soundtrack, of course).

3 comments:

Becky said...

Sounds so fun! I need a vacation like that- just girls! Wait I AM getting one! Very soon! But not soon enough. :)

Christy said...

I think it is so cool that you are so close to your sister & sister's in law. What a fun trip to take without the husbands & children that normally tie you to each other. It is neat that you have a relationship with them that stands on its own.

The Larrabees said...

It was a great trip! Thanks for posting this Kari, I loved remembering those fun days. I think I'll be getting the Wicked CD out pretty soon :)
Love you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...